Trondheim. The old bridge (Gamle Bybrua)
This bridge, though, and is called "old" (Gamle Bybrua map) is the newest of the three bridges crossing Nidelva in this place. The first bridge was built in the 11th century and by the end of the 17th century considerably dilapidated. Great fire in 1681 destroyed the town, but not hit the old bridge. Military engineer Johan Caspar von Cision, who led the restoration (or rather the detuning of the city again, under the new plan) proposed to include in the plan of construction and the new bridge. The bridge over Nidelva had strategic and commercial importance, so king Christian V supported the idea and allocated additional funds.
a New bridge was built in 1685 and had a wooden spans on three stone piers. On each side of the bridge were built the houses for the collection of fees and posting of the guards, one of them, the West, have been preserved to our days. For the passage of ships one of the spans could rise. Pojemny mechanism is lost, what can be seen now - a remake.
After almost two centuries, the bridge was completely reconstructed. In 1861 by engineer Carl Adolf Dahl, the wooden spans were replaced with steel, the bridge became wider, but has ceased to be a drawbridge.
at the same time and there is a gate now called "Gate of happiness".
Openwork portal was named by the words of a popular waltz, written by Oscar Hodo. The idea of waltz emerged, when the composer was standing on this bridge in one night in April 1940. Oscar Huddo was a member of the Norwegian resistance and was executed by the Nazis in Trondheim on November 17, 1943
With bridge overlooks the mouth nidel'vy, where was located the old port of Trondheim.
Colourful buildings former port warehouses, rebuilt in 1930 in a house.
From the bridge you can see the main building of the Norwegian Institute of technology (Hovedbygningen), built in 1910.